November 20, 2014

Young & Old

I wish I knew Mother not as Mother
Looked beyond the timeline of her divine wrath
And dug a little deeper into her womanly secrets
That she saved for her daughter
And then forgot

I wish I knew Father not as Father
Looked beyond the bruises of his inescapable misery
And dug a little deeper into his spirit's history
Bowed down
But never on the ground

With fifty plus summers survived
They say their bodies fail, and their minds
Shed the inanities of youth
Is that why I find them anew?




Linked to: Imaginary Garden with Real Toads



Note:
My parents have, as of late, developed the habit of constantly referring to their age in random off-topic conversations. They don't so much as complain about it, neither am I complaining right now, but as often as they point out how "old" they have grown, it surprises me because I don't find them as old as they find themselves. But surprisingly, as both my parents and I have grown 'older', we have also grown out of a lot of strains that plagued our relationships earlier. It is practically a new person, an individual, more than just a Mother and a Father, that I find in them which I never did before. And not to exaggerate, but it is pretty incredible.

P.S. - This piece might just be a bit off-topic for the Toads's challenge. :P

12 comments:

  1. The generation gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap................may be

    ReplyDelete
  2. This resonates - as we grow older, we begin to know our parents as the individuals they actually are, beyond the roles they played in our lives. And, I live in hope, my kids may one day do the same with me, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will. I was a wayward kid with no hope of redeeming my behaviour (and my parents agreed on that, even when that was the only thing they agreed upon). And yet, I changed, although I'm not sure how. It's quite an experience to connect with my parents not so much as a daughter but as a friend and a companion. :)

      Delete
  3. After a while we get to know our parents just as people, with their own priorities when freed from the rigours of child-rearing. I think it is pretty incredible that you can get to know yours all over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. Especially after the tense last couple of years, it's very refreshing and new to connect with them.

      Delete
  4. agree with Kerry... this is rather remarkable. good for you, and for your parents, the introspection and re-introduction. i really like the look of your blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Marian. And yes, such introspection and re-introduction can do wonders. :)

      Delete
  5. Sigh...the beauty in these relationships and the contrast in each of them as well...this piece is so refreshingly honest and causes a yearning for relationship that transcends. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to know that you liked it. Thank you. :)

      Delete

A reflection shared is an insight gained. :)